My First Marathon


I’ll say this: we weren’t very prepared.  My boyfriend had registered us in January and didn’t ask me first (I think he knew that if he asked me, I would have talked myself out if it).  We had 11 months to train and we did train up until June.  In June I got the flu and the following month, we went to Washington to visit my family.  My cousin and her boyfriend took us on a hiking trip to Mt. Rainier.  I’m rather clumsy and as we were descending from the highest point we were able to get to without snow shoes, I slipped and fell, my tailbone landing right on a sharp rock.  Five days later on Friday, my cousin had taken my boyfriend and I into Seattle for the day.  It had drizzled.  I was wearing nearly gripless Nike SBs.  We were walking to The Met for lunch and I slipped on a metal plate on the sidewalk and fell flat on my tailbone and for abouth a month, I couldn’t do anything.  A day after we got back, my friends and I went to Olomana trail and I had to wait at the first peak because my tailbone had made it too hard to hike.  So, we also couldn’t run for at least a month.  Then, we both kept getting hurt or sick.  We resumed running in November, a month before the marathon.

We got to the Marathon starting line around 3:50am and waited for the start at 5:00am.  It was really awesome, there were fireworks and people were watching and applauding from their balconies.  Miles 1 – 10 took us through town on Kapiolani Blvd, Chinatown, Diamondhead, and Kahala.  Miles 11 – 21 were a big loop through Hawaii Kai.  Miles 22 – 26 took us back through Kahala to Kapiolani park.  My legs stiffened up so badly at mile 12 and I walked until mile 18 and from there, my boyfriend and I ran on and off until we finished at the park.  His knee was acting up, too, so this was another issue.  We completed miles 1 – 12 with no problems in three hours and one minute; had we kept this pace, we would have finished in a little over six hours.  That, however, was not the case and our time was 08:08:17.  Not too shabby I guess, considering our lack of preparation and our injuries?  Or am I just saying that to make myself feel better?  Haha.  Either way, I’m proud of myself for finishing my first marathon in one piece and I’m proud of my boyfriend for being outrageous enough to complete the Honolulu Marathon for the second time.  I enjoyed the experience for the most part, but I think I’ll stick to our casual runs around our neighborhood and Diamondhead/Kahala on the weekends.

In all honesty, though, we were pretty miserable after the marathon.  Both our calves were like useless planks of wood, his knee was sore, and I had a blister (this developed around mile 6).  A relative of mine had flown in from Okinawan to run in the marathon (the HNL Marathon is sponsored by JAL) so my dad, stepmom, grandma, and their two friends waited for us to cross the finish line as well (one hour later than our relative…) and they gave us a bag of Gatorade, bananas, rice snacks, hand sanitizer, and cut and peeled oranges. 

This is the only picture I have of anything really relevant to the marathon.  My phone died so I couldn’t take pictures while we were on the course, and honestly, I was too grouchy and in pain to bother.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s